In 2009, MFA was mandated by the state legislature to consolidate and reorganize New Mexico's seven regional housing authorities and provide oversight and training to the new agencies. There are now three regional authorities operating under MFA's supervision, all of which continue to receive significant technical assistance and training in order to increase their ability to deliver affordable housing in rural areas of the state.
Regional housing authorities are the primary housing service providers in rural areas. As small local housing authorities close due to budget cuts, the role of regional housing authorities becomes even more critical.
Regional authorities are responsible for creating partnerships with local governments, state entities, nonprofit organizations and the private sector to plan, finance and create affordable housing. In addition, they operate federal programs such as Section 8 or Housing Choice Voucher Program and the Low Rent Program, also referred to as public housing. These programs provide rental assistance and subsidized rentals for households with incomes that earn 80 percent or less of the area median income.
Contact information for each of the regional housing authorities is listed in the links below.
Regional Housing Authorities
Northern Regional Housing Authority
525 Ranchitos Rd. Unit #962
Taos, NM 87571
Mildred Motley – Interim Executive Director
Elizabeth Metoyer – Deputy Director/Fiscal Officer
Northern Regional Housing Authority region is comprised of the following counties:
Cibola, Taos, McKinley, Rio Arriba, San Juan, San Miguel, Mora, Los Alamos, Colfax and Sandoval.
Currently nine of the 10 counties in the northern region of the state are represented.
- Santiago Chavez, Board Chair – Sandoval
- Della Barrone, Vice Chair – Taos
- Lauren Reichelt, Secretary – Rio Arriba
- Paul Andrus, Treasurer – Los Alamos
- Ryan Downey, Commissioner – San Juan
- Tim Gallegos, Commissioner – San Miguel
- Alfred Abeita, Commissioner – McKinley
- Garland Moore, Commissioner – Cibola
- Rayetta Trujillo, Commissioner – Colfax
Western Regional Housing Authority
2545 North Silver Street
Silver City, NM 88062
Cathy DeMarco – Executive Director
Sonia Flores – Deputy Director
Western Regional Housing Authority region is comprised of the following counties:
Grant, Hidalgo, Luna, Sierra, Socorro, Catron, Torrance, and Valencia.
Currently one of the eight counties is represented in the Board of Commissioners as noted below:
- Beverly Kostelnik, Board Chair – Luna
- Vera Turner, Vice Chair – Catron
- Awish Baechtle, Resident Commissioner – Grant
- Vincent Barrett, Treasurer – Sierra
- Patricia Lincoln, Commissioner – Torrance
- Carol Anaya, Commissioner – Valencia
- Jackie Muncy, Commissioner - Socorro
Eastern Regional Housing Authority
106 E. Reed St.
Roswell, NM 88202
Chris Herbert, Executive Director
Irene Andazola, Deputy Director
Olivia Cruz, Finance Director
Eastern Regional Housing Authority region is comprised of the following counties:
Chaves, De Baca, Eddy, Guadalupe, Harding, Lea, Lincoln, Otero, Quay, Roosevelt, Union and Curry.
Currently eight of the twelve counties are represented in the Board of Commissioners as noted below:
- Allen Sparks, Board Chair – DeBaca County
- Michael O’Hara, Vice Chair – Otero County
- Mary Beth Fowler, Secretary – Lincoln County
- Waymon Dowdy Sr., Treasurer – Curry County
- Ella Turner, Commissioner – Lea County
- Bill Birdwell, Commissioner – Union County
- Louisa Madrid, Commissioner – Eddy County
- Dan Stoddard, Commissioner – Guadalupe County