Regulatory Compliance Specialist
The Compliance and Initiative Department at New Mexico Mortgage Finance Authority has an opening for a Regulatory Compliance Specialist. The specialist manages activities associated with compliance and monitoring of local government entities in relation to the Affordable Housing Act and Rules including serving as point of contact for the local governments. Serve as the lead MFA employee for environmental reviews and lead based paint compliance. Serve as backup to the Director of Compliance and Initiatives for various compliance related functions in addition to assisting with department functions on an as-needed basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Serves as MFA’s point of contact for New Mexico local government staff.
- Attends conferences and meetings to provide information to local governments on MFA’s products, programs and services.
- Provides guidance, training and technical assistance to local government staff interested in MFA’s products, programs and services.
- Manages activities associated with the Affordable Housing Act and Affordable Housing Act Rules, including:
- Training and technical assistance for consultants, state and local governments, trade associations, governmental and other groups on the Act, Rules, process for developing plans and ordinances, and plan implementation;
- Coordination of MFA review and approval of affordable housing plans and ordinances
- State and local government compliance with the Act and Rules
- Assistance to state and local governments in identifying and contracting with consultants and qualifying grantees in accordance with the Act and Rules
- Accurate and up-to-date documentation of affordable housing plans, ordinances and donation amounts
- Research and documentation of state and community affordable housing needs for use in affordable housing plans, ordinances and implementation efforts
- Presentations, outreach and marketing to promote contributions for affordable housing allowed by the Act and Rules
- Research and recommendation of innovative practices to assist state and local governments develop affordable housing
- Management of legislative allocations and contracts used to fund Affordable Housing Act activities
- Maintenance and updates to the Rules and related policies, procedures and manuals as necessary.
- Serves as lead MFA employee for environmental reviews of HUD-assisted projects and their potential environmental impacts to determine whether it complies with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and related laws and authorities. Training will be provided.
- Serves as lead MFA employee for monitoring compliance with the requirements of the HUD/EPA Lead-Based Paint Disclosure Rule and HUD’s consolidated lead-based paint regulation, known as the Lead Safe Housing Rule. Both Rules implement the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act of 1992 (the “Act”). Training will be provided.
- Serves as back-up for Compliance-related responsibilities as trained and assigned by Director of Compliance and Initiatives.
- Develops and delivers effective public presentations
- Performs other related duties of a similar nature and level as assigned
- Employees are required to comply with safety regulations, procedures, and protocols
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in planning, public policy, public administration or related field is preferred and a minimum of five years of work experience in governmental relations, community planning or community development, preferably including work with federal housing programs.
How to Apply/Contact
To apply via our website, complete the form below or send your resume and professional references to:
Human Resources Director at 344 Fourth St. SW, Albuquerque, NM 87102