image desccription

COVID-19 Homeowner Assistance Fund


This program closed permanently on May 17, 2021

To learn about the New Mexico Homeowner Assistance Fund click here



MFA's COVID-19 Homeowner Assistance Program can help pay your past-due or current mortgage payments if you are experiencing a financial hardship because of COVID-19. This page contains all of the information you need to determine if you qualify for assistance and includes instructions on how to apply for the program.

If you are looking for rental or utility assistance, please visit:  

Program Details

The COVID-19 Homeowner Assistance Program provides emergency housing grants to income-eligible households and residents of tribal lands experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 health crisis.

These grants are mortgage payments made on behalf of income-eligible applicants and residents of tribal lands, up to $1,500 per month for a period of up to three (3) consecutive months, to maintain housing and/or to reduce housing cost delinquency due to the COVID-19 health crisis. Some mobile/manufactured home lot rental payments may also be covered. 

MFA will pay your past-due housing payments directly to your mortgage or loan servicer, escrow company or other housing provider. The assistance does not have to be repaid.

English Factsheet
Spanish Factsheet

Do I Qualify?
1.  Your annual gross household income must not exceed HUD’s “moderate income” limits, which is 80 percent of the area median income adjusted for family size.
 Annual household income includes but is not limited to wages, self-employment income, interest from interest bearing accounts, rental income, distributions from trusts, pensions, social security benefits, SSI, retirement accounts, death benefits, disability payments, unemployment benefits, severance or worker’s compensation, general assistance or TANF, child support, family support, alimony and armed forces pay.

The income limits chart lists the income limits for this program based on where you live and the number of people in your household. These income limits are provided and required by HUD.

Applicants residing in tribal lands do not need to meet household income requirements to qualify for the Homeowner Assistance Program.

2.  Applicants must certify that they have had financial hardship due to the COVID-19 health crisis.

3.  Your current primary residence must be in New Mexico.

4.  You must provide evidence of your housing costs, including the current balance due, broken down by month. Only the current month and past-due months are eligible for a total of no more than three consecutive months.

5.   Applicant must have made all payments to housing provider(s) through February 28, 2020.

6. Except for approved Requests for Continued Assistance, funded applicants from MFA’s COVID-19 Homeowner Assistance Program will not be eligible for payments for a minimum of one year from date of any prior approved funding.

How Do I Apply?
This program is closed.

If your application is denied, you have seven (7) calendar days from the date of the denial notice to submit a written request to appeal. Appeals should be submitted to the Assistant Director of Asset Management, MFA, 344 Fourth St., Albuquerque, NM 87102. The written appeal must state the reason(s) why the applicant believes the application denial was in error and must provide any additional documentation necessary to support the applicant’s assertion of same. The decision of the Assistant Director of Asset Management will be issued in writing within 14 calendar days and shall be final. Persons with disabilities have the right to request reasonable accommodations to participate in the appeal process. This program does not discriminate on the basis of disability, familial status, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, spousal affiliation, ancestry, sexual orientation or gender identity.

Contact Us
If you have additional questions, e-mail us or call 505.308.4206 or 866.488.0498.

This program was previously known as the COVID-19 Housing Cost Assistance Program and provided rental assistance in addition to homeowner assistance. After April 15, 2021, the following will no longer be eligible: (1) rental assistance, with the exception of mobile/manufactured home lot rental assistance; and (2) lease-purchase agreement assistance for properties that are not located on tribal lands.

For rental or utility assistance, visit  

If you live on tribal lands and need rental or utility assistance, contact your tribal government or tribally designated housing entity.